My Utilities. My Power!
Georgia’s rural residents deserve better. Rural Georgians, especially Black and brown folks, are paying too much for utilities, and our elected leaders and utilities companies need to do more. NGP’s My Utilities. My Power! Campaign builds power with residents of Georgia’s Black Belt and other rural areas of the state to fight for our human rights and a better quality of life with cheaper, more equitable utilities and a cleaner environment. We are fed up with a system that fails us.
- The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services defines an energy burden of 6% as unaffordable. In Georgia, the average energy burden on low-income households is 19.4%.
- Georgia ranks second highest in the country for monthly utility costs.
Our environment is not just the air, water, and land around us; it’s also where our hearts and spirits reside and grow. Cheaper, cleaner utilities will move us closer to collective justice for our environment and communities.
- Elected officials meet with residents in southwest Georgia to hear their energy and environmental concerns and solutions.
- Our target cities are required to keep weatherization for rental properties up to date.
- Investment in fair research in historically marginalized areas that accurately reflects economic disparity (based on energy inefficiency), especially before raising rates.
- The expansion of solar panel housing programs to houses and small businesses in rural Georgia.
- Utility companies are required to provide timely and clear communications by mail and public announcement about fees and taxes on utility bills.
Support the My Utilities. My Power! by signing our petition.