The New Georgia Project (NGP) seeks a Deputy Field Director to be responsible for the development, implementation, and coordination of the organization’s registration, advocacy, engagement, and education efforts in various regions of the state – each encompassing multiple counties. The Deputy Field Director will mobilize and train staff and volunteers for issue advocacy campaigns and issue organizing campaigns, civic engagement campaigns, based on priorities established by the organization. The position is located in Atlanta.
NGP is a non-partisan, 501c3 nonprofit organization formed to register the unregistered people of color in the state of Georgia. Our work is based on registering and advocating for Georgians of color (African-American, Latinos, Asian-Americans) while engaging them in the democratic process and participating in collective actions around common issue areas. Those issue areas include voting rights, quality and affordable health care, economic justice, civil rights, and more.
- Developing, implementing, and managing a measurable and sustainable organizing strategy around voter registration, civic engagement, and advocacy and issue campaigns.
- Overseeing training and capacity building activities.
- Implementing multi-faceted organizing, advocacy, and civic engagement campaigns; including supporting the training of community members to act as organizers and advocates.
- Establishing and fostering relationships with key stakeholders and alliances
- Acting as organization representative within the region, including but not limited to:
- Representing the organization at various conferences
- Representing the organization at key coalition/alliance tables and convenings.
- Attend trainings on community organizing, civic participation, voter activation network (VAN), and volunteer engagement.
- Provide the Executive Director with timely monthly, quarterly, and year-end reports detailing progress toward annual strategic goals and objectives.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess many, if not all, of the following professional qualifications, competencies and personal qualities:
- Minimum of 2 years of campaign experience coordinating all aspects of civic engagement organization or political campaigns including demonstrated success as a Field Coordinator or Campaign Manager
- Expertise in community organizing strategy and tactics, as well as, non-partisan issue-based organizing; specific skills should include grassroots activism
- Solid understanding of and experience with social media and e-advocacy campaigns
- Ability to work in teams, participate in cross-departmental planning and work with a diverse group of stakeholders
- Strong organization and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Strong attention to detail and ability to multitask
- Solid interpersonal skills and ability to operate confidentially
- Exemplary time management skills; ability to work under pressure and meet urgent deadlines with compromising the quality of the finished product
- Ability to prioritize assignments and demonstrate a high degree of initiative
- Flexibility to work beyond regular core business hours as needed
- Have reliable transportation and be eligible to drive in Georgia
- Ability to travel, as needed
Other desired skills and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Volunteer recruitment and training
- Meaningful experience with public mobilization, a grassroots political campaign or issue advocacy
- Organizing events
- Training adults and speaking in front of groups
- Flexibility and highly adaptive to changing work needs and environment
- Ability to lift moderately heavy objects, and to stand, sit, and drive for extended periods
- Experience working successfully over the long term in high-pressure environments
- Demonstrated ability to resolve conflicts while maintaining important relationships
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and diplomatically in politically sensitive situations
- Effective time management skills, including prioritizing and managing multiple tasks
Compensation and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience and within the parameters of the NGP compensation scale. Benefits include three weeks of vacation to start and access to medical, dental and vision insurance plans.
To apply, email a letter of application and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include in the subject line of the email: your last name and Deputy Field Director. In your letter, please indicate where you learned of the posting. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The New Georgia Project is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.